The National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) ear acupuncture protocol involves inserting five small, sterile stainless steel needles into five specific points on the outer surface of the ear. NADA-GR recommends single-use needles and does not use electrical stimulation. There are individual and group sessions which last up to 45 minutes.
The NADA protocol has been scientifically demonstrated to aid:
- Producing a sense of well-being and tranquillity.
- Promoting mental clarity which helps rational thinking.
- Combatting Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Improving sleep.
- Improving health problems which frequently accompany long term use of cigarettes, alcohol and/or drugs.
- Relief from withdrawal symptoms.
- Reduced relapse rate.
- Remaining in / completing dependency rehabilitation programmes.
Something which concerns this field of therapy is the provision of help to those who avoid it or who have trouble asking for it. Treatment using the NADA protocol has been proven to be effective in such cases. The fact that it is a non-verbal treatment method, not requiring confidence in verbal communication, means that it is widely accepted by patients and gives them initial therapeutic support. Many patients then find the courage to overcome the problem.
In Greece, NADA-GR offers training in the NADA (ADS) ear acupuncture protocol and works with the support of NADA UK and the Hellenic Chinese Medicine Association. NADA-GR is attempting to make the NADA protocol accessible to all communities and have it incorporated into other forms of treatment.